Tuesday 29 March 2016

Opportunity of a lifetime - Running The 401 Challenge with Ben Smith

Good afternoon bloggers and welcome to a unscheduled entry ...
On day 4 of the John Muir Way whilst walking along the canal from Kilsyth towards Falkirk I chanced upon Ben who was running his 199th consecutive marathon from Falkirk to Cumbernauld.
He explained what he was doing and why he was doing and I was just simply gobsmacked and humbled. Here I was walking under 20 miles in a day and he was running 26.2 miles every day for over 13 months!!!!
My selfie of us when we met on canal

My John Muir Trust walk t-shirt





 I gave Ben some money towards his charity and felt totally humbled by the whole experience and it instantly gave me inspiration for a bigger 2017 challenge. Apparently it worked the other way too as he was not feeling great that day (see his blog entry for #199) The 401 challenge 
So when I found out he was running an East Kilbride Marathon I just had to go along and run with him, although I expected only to be running a few miles it ends up I ran the whole marathon with him and the group on what was a great day running around the roads I normally train on alone.

The runners post #207 marathon

The runners pre #207 marathon

Stretching and warm down with Calderglen Harriers

Ben Smith - Another selfie
 So now it's focus on London in 27 days time and pushing the fundraising total over the £1000 mark
Thanks for reading and check out Ben's challenge page too, he may be coming to your town/city soon





#justgiving.com/Michael-Ward55/ #ukrunchat #walkinghighlands #VLM2016

 

No comments:

Post a Comment