Wednesday 23 March 2016

Day 9 - John Muir Way - North Berwick to Dunbar Final day

Well after 8 days of following the John Muir Way I was on my final day into Dunbar
The day started in fine form when I got the chance to meet my old boss from Glasgow Moat House for breakfast. Jela owns the Nether Abbey hotel North Berwick and has grown & developed probably the best Hotel in the area, well worth a visit if you are on the East coast. After a wonderful catch up and tour of the hotel I headed out of town to pick up the path to East Linton. I wanted to climb the law but my feet were telling me otherwise so I pushed on along through the countryside.
The law remains very much in view most of the way.




In East Linton I found another quiet but very pleasant pub "The Crown Inn" for some nourishment
and unfortunately unwanted news of what was going on back in the real world. After lunch it was back out into the country again, at times it felt like I was royalty as many of the paths were in the process of being newly laid with tarmac as I went along. There was not a great deal after East Linton until you enter the John Muir Country Park which has a vast bird sanctuary. I hadn't seen much in the way of unusual wildlife along the way but it came in the most unlikely form of Emu and Llama.






When you finally head around the bay into Dunbar you are lulled into thinking you are close to the end, however the clifftop trail takes you around the coastline and golf course, but when you do reach the end it is at a breathtaking view of the ageing castle ruins and rocks at the harbour and esplanade.
Then you head down towards the sea before a final flight of stairs takes you up towards the high street and the finish.
S


So there ends part 1 of my triple challenge and now a couple of days rest before building back up again for the London Marathon on 24th April.....see you in a wee while and thanks for reading blog.

Dont forget you can donate to my John Muir Trust fundraising by following this link
My JustGiving fundraising page

 #justgiving.com/Michael-Ward55/ #ukrunchat #walkinghighlands #VLM2016


No comments:

Post a Comment