Wednesday 23 March 2016

Day 8 - John Muir Way - Edinburgh - North Berwick


After Sunday's race it was back to just walking with the longest leg of my journey between Portobello and North Berwick, 24 miles mainly along the beautiful coast and passing through some lovely towns that I had never been to before like Aberlady, Prestonpans and Port Seton.


Much of the Edinburgh half marathon passes along the Portobello and Musselburgh section so I will be back again at the end of May for the EMF half marathon. One of the most interesting places on my journey was Prestonpans with it's murals, totem pole and micro brewery all in aid of remembering the history of the area. Pictured below is the mural of John Muir with inscription in the bottom corner.






Whilst on this section two landmarks dominate your views, behind you Arthur's seat is continually visible rising above the city and coastline, whilst ahead you can see the North Berwick Law and your destination getting ever closer.


I have not been into North Berwick properly before and I was surprised how big the town is in comparison to others along the way. It is a bustling coastal town and a golf mecca with various courses along the links. There are an amazing number of quality restaurants although I was just out of season so not in full swing yet. 


The stunning views continue right up to the town and this anchor on the front makes for an impressive photo against the coastline and town. It was a very long day yet rewarding and for the first time on my walk my accommodation was actually on the JMW and I was able to fall out the front door and go next door to Zitto for dinner and the ship for a beer (Or two)
I can highly recommend both No 12 Quality street No 12 Quality Street and it's genial host Sean and Zitto

So it was off to bed with a full stomach and a warm glow, I think I am actually getting a bit of a suntan too lol ...in March!!!!

My JustGiving fundraising page
Johnmuirtrust.orgJohn Muir Trust

#justgiving.com/Michael-Ward55/ #ukrunchat #walkinghighlands #VLM2016

No comments:

Post a Comment