Monday 6 March 2017

2017 Running challenges

Well how did that happen?

It's been nearly a year since my last blog entry from the John Muir Way
The John Muir way was just 1 part of my triple challenge in which I also ran the London Marathon again and bagged Ben Nevis for the first time. By the time I had completed my 2016 triple challenge I had managed to collect £1,300 for the John Muir Trust https://www.johnmuirtrust.org/


London Marathon 2016 - John Muir Trust runners

So what about 2017 then? I hear you say ...............
Well I decided that I wasn't going to do any fundraising this year and just run for fun.
I also decided that I would try and stretch myself further by taking on my first ultra run which ties in nicely with a 30th anniversary trip back to Guernsey where I ran my first half marathon and met my wife all those years ago. More  of the ultra shortly, but as usual I tried to get into the London & Berlin marathons via ballot but failed to secure a slot for either race so this year I am off to France for the Paris marathon on the 9th April to join 50,000 runners from all around the world in what is one of the planets biggest marathons (although not one of the majors)

http://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/us



 So at the moment I am 12 weeks into a 16 week training programme for a sub 4hr Paris marathon...here's hoping, I am looking forward to it immensely although disappointment to miss out on my 3rd consecutive London Marathon. The training also includes my first trail half marathon in Glentress Forest and the Alloa half marathon on March 19th (another new one for me)
Glentress Forest trail half marathon took place on February 25th and was the hardest race of my life so far with over 2,000 feet of elevation and very muddy, snowy and wet underfoot it was a miracle I stayed upright throughout the race. Mind you the mud did slow you down when coming down hill so it was useful in that respect. The weather forecast was for 40 mph winds and heavy rain but the gods smiled on us and in the end it was only light rain and minor winds.

I ended up with a time of 2hrs50m which is about an hour slower than my usual road race time so you can see how tough it was. https://www.highterrainevents.co.uk/glentress-trail-race
But none the less it was good training material and a fun run for all involved.


























Apart from the races already mentioned I only have another couple arranged at the moment, the Giffnock 10k and the Great Scottish Run in Glasgow again. But I am sure I will fit in some others for Summer & Autumn, in the meantime I continue to focus on Paris & Guernsey #GU36.....................................



No comments:

Post a Comment